Hurricanes can be a terrifying and dangerous experience for both humans and their pets. As a pet owner, it’s important to have a plan in place to ensure the safety and well-being of your furry friend during a hurricane. From securing a safe space in your home to evacuating to a pet-friendly shelter, there are a number of steps you can take to protect your pet during a storm. In this article, we will be sharing essential hurricane tips for pet owners, including how to prepare your home, important supplies to have on hand, and the best ways to keep your pet safe during a hurricane. Whether you’re a new pet owner or a seasoned pro, these tips will help you ensure that your pet is well taken care of during a storm.
- Be Prepared
- Bathroom Breaks
- Take updated pictures of all of your animals for easy identification. It’s best if you can print them out so if you do lose power, you will still have the images available.
- Place your pet’s health records and identification images in a safe waterproof container along with your other important documents.
- Consider getting your pets a reflective collar or an LED safety tag.
- Have An Emergency Kit
- Purchase an emergency kit for your pet, these are good to have on hand for more than just hurricanes. Don’t forget to add a manual can opener, medications, food and water.
- Stay Calm
- Keeping yourself calm will help to ease your pet’s fears. However, it doesn’t hurt to have a backup calming supplement for your pet on hand.
- Keep Cool
Leave your best hurricane tips for pets below in the comments!
Check out our recommended products page to see some recommended pet emergency supplies.